Rumors are swirling that Sandra Bullock will be pulling the plug on her marriage. If you’re preparing for a divorce, Twin Cities family law attorney Jonathan Fogel suggests these 5 steps:
- Protect Your Children – Think of your children first. Schedule meetings to discuss the divorce with your spouse outside of the household and seek a family therapist to help the children through the process.
- Organize Your Financials – Make copies of past tax statements, bank statements, etc. and keep that file outside the house. Sever joint bank accounts and don’t overspend!
- Organize Non-Monetary Assets – This means taking an inventory of family heirlooms that have been handed down. Look for that wedding gift list!
- Educate Yourself – Find an attorney who specializes in family law and preferably has a network of individuals to get you and your family through this process including therapists, accountants, insurance agents, etc.
- Take Care of Yourself – This is an extremely stressful time for all involved and it is important to find a support network you can trust to lean on throughout the process.
Jonathan Fogel is a Minnesota attorney with extensive experience handling divorces involving complex marital estates, spousal maintenance, custody, and post decree matters. You can reach him at Fogel Law Offices.