Making post-holiday returns? Or maybe getting those terrific shopping deals? Either way – here are quick tips to keep your purse and wallet secure and safe while deal-hunting.
- Zip It. Choose a purse/bag with a strap and a zipper and keep it closed.
- Keep ‘Em Separated. Keep your keys and phone separate from your handbag. Why? If your purse is stolen, you’ll be stranded with no car keys and no immediate way to call anyone.
- Pocket It. Quick errand? Leave your purse or wallet at home and carry only what you need in pants or shirt pocket.
- Never Been Touched. Take rarely used credit cards from your wallet and store them in a safe place at home.
- No SS#s. Carry only what you need. Medical cards or other ID cards often use your social security number as your account number – carry your card only as needed.
- SmartPhone. Your smartphone (the one with all your PIN numbers and passwords in it?), make sure it’s password-locked when not in use.
- Big Ones. Big purse? Carry it with one arm across it or with the strap crossing your body. Wear the strap under your jacket or sweater.
- Where’s Wallet? To minimize leaving your wallet somewhere, establish the habit of returning it a secure inside pocket.
- Clean Receipts Out. After shopping, take credit card, ATM and store receipts from your purse or wallet and put them in an envelope or folder.
- The Mentalist. Before each shopping trip, mentally itemize what’s in your purse and wallet. This will give you an idea of what to report to an insurance agent in case of theft.
- At Home and at the Office. Keep a list of emergency phone numbers (bank, credit card companies, insurance agent) at home and office. Why? Many people use lunch hours for shopping (maybe you?). In case of a theft or loss, you’ll have emergency numbers nearby.